Today I went to cycle fit (or some people call it spin class). I have been going since January once or twice a week. Its is a major cardio workout. Every time I tell Gary I have never sweat so much in my life. Except that one hot yoga class. That takes sweating to a whole new level. I was literally drenched.
I know. This is totally the best way to start a cookie post…talking about sweat. Appetizing.
The thing is, I need to work out. Often. Daily if possible.
I also bake daily. That means I eat baking daily. Spin Class is necessary.
I am soo tempted to make croissants right this moment. It is an all day commitment. And I don’t even like croissants.
I just drank 20 ounces of chai tea and ate two of these cookies, and an apple dipped in natural peanut butter. I am a snacker. Speaking of snacking, I totally need to go to Trader Joes asap. They have the best snacks eveeerr.
The Best Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
(Based on Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip and Pecan Cookies from Smitten Kitchen)
1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1) Cream butter and sugar together till light
2) Add salt, vanilla and eggs and mix for three minutes scraping down the sides of the bowl after one minutes
3) Mix flour and baking soda together. Add half the flour and mix till combined. When just combined, add the rest of the flour.
4) Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
5) Roll into heaping tablespoon sized balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
6) Bake in a 350 degree oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes ( mine were perfect after 12 minutes) . Let cool 2-4 minutes on the cookie sheet then cool completely on wire racks.
Options: Add nuts (2cups, decrease oatmeal to 1 cup), Add orange zest ( 2 tsps), Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp cloves with the flour. Doing all these additions will create the same cookies found on Smitten Kitchen. I prefer mine much more plain so I didn’t do any of them!